Sunday, November 4, 2007

Its a no man's land

At two o'clock when all the customers were gone both Jared and Kurt lit up cigarettes. Jared sat at the bar counter counting his drawer while Kurt stood behind the bar. Kurt took the remaining glasses and put them in the dishwasher. I put on latex gloves and started to pull the bar mats. Every night the bar mats are taken outside to be washed by the cleaning crew. The aisle long bar is washed down as well. The night's booze and broken glass cleaned away.

"Jared can I have a cigarette?" Tania asked. She was waiting for Jared to leave. They'd been dating for four or five months and had met at the restaraunt. She started to light her cigarette.

"I'm outta here before this place becomes a cloud of smoke." I said. I took my bike and walked out the door. The ride home was chilly but short. My house is only ten blocks away from the restaurant so it only takes me seven minutes to arrive to work. That small amount of time doesn't prevent me from being five minutes late to work consistently though.

I brushed and flossed my teeth took off my clothes and went to bed. Sleep came quickly to me due to my exhaustion. I'd worked out earlier in the day and would go to the gym at eleven in the morning to help out with the kids class. My sleep was dreamless.

No comments: