Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Do what?


Things here at Sitmonchai are progressing as they do. I've been training regularly sans two sessions in which I was too sleepy to attend. This valentine's day one of the fighters here had a bout. The fight was in a small town close to Thamaka and the entire crew packed into a mini van to go see the show. Ashima, the small Indian woman who fought, had her fight delayed by a couple hours because there was some confusion as to the actual date of the fight. Evidently her opponent thought it was going to be some other time. The fight was tented in by blue tarp erected on poles giving the venue a real classy feel. The fights were there primarily because of the festival in the wat next door.


The festival was far more titillating than the fights. A crew of guys and I went to the festival for a minute and we saw some extravagant costumes, a male elephant (he had a fucking gigantic dong), cheap wares, and a haunted house. The haunted house was pretty atrocious. As I walked through it people grabbed at my fight. I screamed with mock terror. A small kid who was about 7 or 8 wore a scary mask. He pointed at me and repeatedly said; "Where you from, Where you from. I love you. I love you." I probably should have taken him home with me and sold him into a child prostitution ring.

My fight date was changed to March 6th. I'm not fighting at Lumpinee anymore which is a bit of a bummer, but honestly I just want to fight and get it over with. Training is fun, but its also boring and tiring. I want to go on vacation again and hang out with my friends.

That said I have been trying to focus on fixing shit that I'm doing. I over rotate my hip when kicking which is something that I'm trying to consciously fix.

My trainer here "catches" blows which causes some confusion but also helps me develop my steez. I've been doing a lot of right kicks and left knee combinations which is fun. I plan on doing more knee style fighting/pad work in the coming weeks.

I've been writing a fair amount of letters, but haven't gotten as much regular story writing done as I'd like. Oh well. I'll be sure to get on the fiction though.

In the mean time here is a video of an Isaan singer lamenting how her boyfriend Johnny is going back to America.


No comments: