Monday, June 2, 2008

Reflections.....

When I was in college I lived in a house off campus. The house was attached to another house. Our house was filled with vegan lefty "anarchists" with awful politics (one of whom was me). Next door were more regular college ilk. There was a girl who lived next door, I can't remember her name, maybe it was Sarah, I'll call her Sarah. Sarah's room was on the second floor. When you exited the front door and turned left you could see her bedroom window. If she was up at night you could see the light coming out of her room. I saw her on campus one day and asked if I could throw rocks at her window one night and read her crappy love poetry. I did in fact do such a thing. The angle of her bedroom to the ground was perfect. I remember her opening up her window and leaning out of it a little to hear me. The setting demanded I read her crappy poetry late at night.

A week or two ago I was outside of my friend's house. I looked up at her window and that memory came to me again. Coinciding with that memory was thinking about John Cusack in "Say Anything," which is arguably one of the most romantic movies ever, ever! That was the major inspiration to the last two pieces "If you sing to me in French..." and "What are we doing here..." They are also the same "story" told from two different viewpoints. I was hoping to practice trying to develop different character views.

"Writer's block" came up after I tried to write a blog about some punk kids. The short piece is on the blog. My computer froze up and I figured I'd write something about getting writer's block. My output hasn't been that much lately because I haven't been prioritizing writing and instead been prioritizing feeling sorry for myself. Its more than when I was dating though. Another argument about how girls will make you fat and lazy! I like the line about the computer having AIDS.

"Much Luck" is an almost exact replica of a conversation I was having with one of my friends who works in the service industry. Its a pretty typical conversation to have with another waiter or waitress. I've been using more "real" dialogue that I've had in my stories, or at least these last few.

Most of my writing isn't far off from my everyday life. The characters, the events, the settings, are all reflections in a murky mirror. Let's hope that I don't upset anyone with my characters (as in lets hope the real kids can't tell who they are) but than again I'm under read as it is. They'll be happy when I've achieved posthumous fame. "Hey I was in a story by Matt Lucas," will be on everybody's lips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll be absent from posthumous lips. WOOT!